Fork Brewing Galactic Gose dry hopped sour wheat (4.5%) - Aroma: Big notes of ripe pineapple, papaya and guava with a hint of pink grapefruit and a subtle malt-cracker aromatic. Flavour: Big tartness grips the entire palate, with the salty sensation giving a bust of perceived sweetness to balance the lactic acid sourness. Tropical fruit notes abound with a tangy, almost cider-esque finish and mineral smoothness. Hops: Australian Galaxy: Malt: Wheat, Rye, Pilsener, Acidulated and Oat Malt. Yeast: Fork House Strain – Warm fermented: ABV: 4.5 IBU: 8. pH: 3.60.
Te Aro Brewing Seven of Diamonds pale ale (4.3%) - A sessionable Pale Ale with a zesty lime and gooseberry aroma. Flavours of tropical tropical fruit have the sweetness balanced by the bitterness of all NZ hops; while the American Ale, Medium Crystal and Toffee Malt body shines through. Available now.
Horsebox Layer Cake Baltic Porter (8.3%) - Layer Cake is layered with subtle multiple flavours, you get all the smooth complex malt sweetness and roasted tones of a Baltic porter with a twist. This Chocolate Baltic has organic cocoa nibs added during fermentation giving it an additional velvety sweet layer. The Ruby red grapefruit coupled with the distinctive Mandarina Bavaria hops offers the unique icing on this cake and lends itself to a beautiful orange colour profile not normally found in a Porter. We've all seen white stouts, now its time to experience an Orange Baltic Porter
Horsebox Forkhill Red IPA (6.3%) - Bordering the route less traveled, a red with admirable body and strength. Not to be tested by the faint of heart, it is brave to the very end.
Sunshine Brewery Pattys Potation Imperial Stout (10%) - a British-Style Imperial Stout made with UK Malt and Hops, aged in Chardonnay Barrels for 18 months, released for Saint Patrick's Day.
Events this week
Not so NRT: 2014 Vintage Rogue XS Imperial Stout - 5pm tomorrow, Hashigo Zake, 25 Taranaki St, Wellington. Join us this Tuesday for a Not So NRT keg of Rogue Ales & Spirits's XS Russian Imperial Stout - 2014 Vintage. The keg we have is nearly three years old, but (naturally) it’s been kept cold all that time, so we’re expecting that time will have done little to change the beer except, perhaps, help this its intense flavours meld just a little more.
16 Tun & Sawmill - Locally Sourced - 6.30pm Wednesday, 16 Tun, 20 Jellicoe St, Auckland. Come down to 16TUN and get a chance to try 5 The Sawmill Brewery beers, including seasonal brews, paired with locally sourced cheese and smoked meats from the Matakana region.
Garage Project and their plain and simple beers - 4pm Thursday, Lumsden Free House, 444 Khyber Pass, Auckland. 5 of Garage Project's standard low key simple beers. Nothing weird or wacky, definitely not any beer thats "sonically stimulated, energised and then soothed with a specially curated selection of classical music played directly into the beer using a submersible speaker' and no way we'd serve a beer that was "spiked with pineapple and sour cherry for an exotic explosion of citrus and tropical fruit aromas" and most certainly not anything along the lines of a " Rye bock conditioned on toasted coconut, pineapple and a touch of lime"
Matt Walsh from Modern Times - 6pm Friday, Regional Wines Beers Spirits, 15 Ellice St, Wellington. With an impressive track record that includes heading brewing at both Speakeasy Ales & Lagers and Karl Strauss Brewing, Matt Walsh has been heading up the brewing at Modern Times Lost Coast brewery for the last two years, ensuring their reputation for exciting and immaculately crafted brews. Matt will be tasting and talking us through a selection of his iconic beers, in a relaxed informal fashion
Black Out at Volstead - Friday 17 March, Volstead, 55 Riccarton Rd, Christchurch. You don't have to be a genius to drink good beer. This Saint Patrick's day we have a massive line up of local Stouts, Dunkels, Blacks IPA's and Porters. Beers from 8 Wired, Epic. Moa, Cassels, Eagle, Raindogs, Renaissance, Two Thumb, Emerson's, Tuatara, Emporium, Volstead, Horse Box & Wigram.
Sourfest 2017 - 17-20 March, Malthouse, 48 Courtenay Place Wellington.
Malty by Nature - 17-19 March, St Johns Bar, 5 Cable St, Wellington. With a selection of beers from some of New Zealand’s finest craft breweries, Lord Almighty, Black Dog and Good George.
The Funky Weekend - 18-19 March, Funk Estate brewery, 3/402 Great North Rd. Grey Lynn, Auckland. We're having a couple of open days at the Funk Estate Brewery. Come along on both Saturday and Sunday to check out our space, and enjoy some sun(hopefully), beer and food. We'll even have a cheeky band kicking off in the early evenings. 1pm-late both days. See you at the Funky Weekend!
Modern Times Taste Test Fest! - 2pm Saturday, Hamilton Beer & Wine, 856 Victoria St, Hamilton. Modern Times Beer are one of our Favorite American Breweries to date! They produce some funky, outrageous, and down right delicous beers that we just cannot get enough of! So when we got word that Brewer Matt Walsh, head brewer, was going to be in town, we jumped at the opportunity to host a tasting!! No need to book for this one, it's a free tasting, the only conditions are that you must be over 18, and love a good drop
Modern Times at Craft - 5pm Saturday, Craft Hamilton, 15 Hood St, Hamilton. A fresh batch of Modern Times has just landed in New Zealand and we have snagged four very awesome kegs for your drinking pleasure!
Beer Appreciation Day - 12.30 Saturday, Duart House, 51 Duart House, Havelock North, Hawke's Bay. Beer Appreciation Day is all about providing an opportunity to sample some great beers and ciders from some of New Zealand's (and the world's!) finest craft breweries. Tickets available here.
Events next week
Nelson Beer Week - 18-26 March, various venues, Nelson and Tasman. Nelson Beer Week is a chance for you to explore beyond normal ‘beer experience boundaries’ and sample a wide range of craft beers and beer-matched cuisine not normally available.
- Epic Brewing - Hop Garden BBQ, Beers and Hop Tour - 12 noon 18 March, New Hoplands, Tapawera, 362 Tadmor Valley Rd, Tapawera 7096, New Zealand
- McCashins Brewery Kitchen & Bar – NBW Tastings and Food Specials - 12 noon, March 18, McCashins Brewery Kitchen and Bar, 660 Main Rd Stoke
- Eddyline Brewery: Walk the Eddyline – Brewery Tour - 1pm March 18, Eddyline Brewery & Pizzeria, 660 Main Rd, Stoke
- Craft Beer Depot – Beergasm: Special Beer Releases, Meet the Brewers and Jamaican Jerk BBQ - 3pm March 18, Craft Beer Depot, 70 Achilles Ave, Nelson
- Harrys Bar/Cassels & Sons Tap Takeover - 4pm March 18, Harrys Bar, 296 Trafalgar St, Nelson
- The Vic Brew Bar: Blind Craft Beer Taste Competition - 5pm March 18, The Vic Brew Bar, 281 Trafalgar St, Nelson
- Liquid Bar – Special Menu and Beer Cocktails- 7pm March 18, Liquid Bar, 75 Bridge St, Nelson
- Eddyline Brewery – Beer Talks and Tastings - 2pm March 19, Eddyline Brewery, 8 Champion Rd, Richmond
- Founders Brewery Family Fun Day - 4.30 March 19, Founders Brewery, 87 Atawhai Dr, The Wood, Nelson
- Kereru Brewing/CBD: Cook Up and Meet Kereru Brewer - 5pm March 20, Craft Beer Depot, 70 Achilles Ave, Nelson
- McCashins Brewery – Brewery Tour - 11am March 21, McCashins Brewery, 660 Main Rd, Stoke
- NZ Hops Tour - March 21, NZ Hops, 8 Blackbyre Rd, Best Island, Appleby
- Sprig & Fern Brewery Tour and Tastings - 11.30 March 21, Sprig and Fern Brewery, 53 Beach Rd, Richmond
- Craft Beer Depot: Craft Beer & Whiskey Match Tastings - March 21, Craft Beer Depot, 70 Achilles Ave, Nelson
- Beer without Borders/CBD: Modern x Hops – Nelson to San Diego - 5pm March 22, Craft Beer Depot, 70 Achilles Ave, Nelson
- McCashins Brewery Kitchen & Bar – Meat Lovers Heaven - 5pm March 22, McCashins Brewery Kitchen & Bar, 660 Main Rd, Stoke
- Freshchoice Richmond & Yeastie Boys: Tastings and Food Matching @ Oxford Street Kitchen - 7 pm March 22, Oxford Street Kitchen and Roastery, 20 Oxford St, Richmond
- Pecha Kucha – Nelson Beer Week Edition - 7.30 March 22, The Brewhouse/Boathouse, 326 Wakefield Quay, Nelson
- Freshchoice Richmond: American beer tastings in store - 4pm March 23, Freshchoice Richmond, 216 Queen St, Richmond
- The Free House: Meet the Brewer Townshend Brewing - 6pm March 23, The Free House, 95 Collingwood St, Nelson
- Craft Beer Depot: Churly Charcuterie - 7pm March 23, Craft Beer Depot, 70 Achilles Ave, Nelson
- Freshchoice Richmond: Harringtons tastings in store - 3pm March 24, Freshchoice Richmond, 216 Queen St, Richmond
- Craft Beer Depot: Moa Vs Parrot Dog & Meet The Brewers - 4pm March 24, Craft Beer Depot, 70 Achilles Ave, Nelson
- Nelson Beer Week Block Party – Cod and Lobster, Urban Eatery, Garage Project, Golden Bear - 4pm March 24, 1903 Square Nelson, Trafalgar St, Nelson
Welcome to the Flavourdome - 7pm Monday 20 March, Shepherd, 1/5 Eva St, Wellington. Join Modern Time's & Shepherd Restaurant as they crash their contemporary styles head on. Matt Walsh (MT Head Brewer) & Shepherd Elliott will curate an evening of unforgettable unique food & beer matching.
Weezledog New Branding Launch + Meet the brewer - 5pm Wednesday 22 March, 16 Tun, 20 Jellicoe St, Auckland. Weezledog Brewing Company have just launched their new branding across bottles and taps. Pop down to have a taste and meet the brewer Mark Jackman. We'll have the range in either bottles or on tap for you to sample
Boneface Brewery Launch - 5pm Thursday 23 March, Malthouse, 48 Courtenay Pl, Wellington. Malthouse is stoked to be hosting the launch of Wellington's newest brewery, Boneface Brewing Company! We'll be pouring four of Boneface's beers from 4pm, and Nanny's Food Truck will be there, serving up Wellington's most notoriously pimped-up burgers from 3:30pm. Boneface head brewer, Matt Dainty, will also be hovering about (it'd be remiss not to on your own launch night), so you can give him a pat on the shoulder for a job well done!
F#(< ART: Drink Beer! - 6pm Thursday 23 March, The Beer Library, 363 Colombo St, Christchurch. Here's your chance to sample some brand-new beers from the Danish dynamic duo. We'll be pouring 6 of their beers on Thursday 23 March at 6pm, so come on in to kick off happy hour in true Viking style. To Øl Brewery has consistently been voted one of the top 100 breweries in the world and is known for their uncompromisingly bold flavours. Don't miss out!
New Zealand Homebrewers Conference - 24-26 March, Founders Park, Nelson
MarchFest Nelson - Saturday 25 March, Founders Park, Nelson
Mountain Ales 2017 - Saturday 1 April, New Plymouth Sports Fishing Club, Ocean View Parade New Plymouth. The third installment of Mountain Ales brings you 10 breweries (almost all new to the festival) and more than 20 beers plus the usual great catering. Get in quick - this event sells out.
Hop'n'Vine Craft Beer Festival - Saturday 1 April, Old Southland Times Building, 67 Esk St, Invercargill. Some of New Zealand’s top craft breweries will be at Hop’n’Vine including Tuatara, Garage Project, EPIC, Liberty, Behemoth, 8 Wired, South Paw, Ground Up and, of course, Invercargill Brewery. Several other guest breweries, Central Otago wines and Zeffer Cider will also feature. Includes a home brew competition and a guest DJ from Auckland.
Craft Beer Fair - Saturday 1 April, Plimmerton School, Porirua. Due to popular demand and unprecedented success Plimmerton School are hosting another Craft Beer Fair!! 11 breweries and a homebrewing competition.
Battle of the Beers - 6.30 pm Friday 7 April, Frederics, 34 Egmont St, New Plymouth. NZ vs USA Join us for a superb evening of five courses, each matched with a beer from NZ and USA. What matches better? Which country will take out the Battle Of the Beers and be named the Champ.
Rare and Wild Ticketed Tasting - 7pm Wednesday 19 April, Brothers Beer, 90 Wellesley St West, Auckland. Brothers Beer have paired up with Beer Without Borders, one of the country's best importers of incredible international beers to bring you a tasting like no other. Our Rare and Wild tasting will feature amazing rare and sour styles for lovers of some of the funkiest, hardest to find beers anywhere. Including: Baird Ganko Oyaji; Almanac Grand Cru White; Almanac Grand Cru Red; La Sirene Wild Tripelle; Freigeist Kopenickiade Vineyard Peach
Hopstock 2017 - 19-24 April, various venues, Wellington. http://craftbeercapital.com/hopstock/about
Freshtopia 2017 - 19-26 April, Volstead, 55 Riccarton Rd, Christchurch.
2017 Fresh Hop Homebrew Competition Grand Final - 3pm, Friday 21 April, Fork & Brewer, 14 Bond St, Wellington. The final round of judging for the Annual NZ Fresh Hop Homebrew competition. Preliminary judging will take place in Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch - the top beers that show case the Fresh Hop character will then be judged against each other for the chance to take out Champion 2017 Fresh Hop Homebrewer. Anyone is welcome to come along and watch as our offical judges taste and judge the homebrew enteries.
Fresh Hop NZ 2017 - Saturday 22 April, various venues, Auckland
GABS Auckland - 16-17 June, ASB Showgrounds, Auckland
Smiths NZIPA Competition - 22-24 June, Smiths Craft Beer House, Queenstown
A Mid-Winter's Ale Festival - Saturday 1 July, Rolleston Community Centre, Christchurch. Showcasing some exciting craft beers and delicious ciders from breweries around Canterbury and the North Island as well as a handpicked selections of beers from overseas. We also have an exciting line up of live entertainment throughout the afternoon plus some awesome food options to match with the amazing line up of beers and ciders. Ticket sales will be available from the 1st of March...
Beervana 2017 - 11-12 August, Westpac Stadium, Wellington
Brewers Guild Conference & Trade Show - Friday 6 October, Christchurch
Brewers Guild Gala Dinner (aka BGONZA Night) - Saturday 7 October, Christchurch
General Manager, Harrington's Brewery, Christchurch
As part of their growth strategy the Board of Directors are seeking a General Manager to lead this organisation and to take overall responsibility for the operational performance and success of Harrington’s Breweries. You will drive senior level decision making and will contribute to the strategic planning and direction of the business. Skills & experience required include:
- Leadership experience at general management level
- Reporting to a company board and/or family business exposure
- Proven ability to drive and execute a strategic plan and deliver results
- Solid business acumen ideally within the exporting/manufacturing sector
Handyman, Hallertau Brewery, Riverhead, Auckland
Tasting Room Assistant (Casual), Wanaka Beerworks, Wanaka
Head Brewer, Tuatara, Kapiti